Salt - Interesting Facts
- Roman soldiers were sometimes paid in salt - which is where the word 'salary' comes from. Difficult to spend it in restaurants today though.
- Every cell in the body contains salt - an adult contains about 250 grammes, equivalent to a box of Maldon Salt.
- In old Japanese theatres, salt was sprinkled on to the stage before each performance to prevent evil spirits from casting a spell on the actors. Sprinkling salt around your home may have the same effect today.
- Salt is used to remove traces of water from aviation fuel after it is purified.
- At one time salt bars were the standard currency of Ethiopia. It’s still worth taking a pack of Maldon, for emergencies.
- Salt was used to preserve Egyptian mummies (and in the pies eaten by Egyptian daddies).
- Salt removes red wine stains (though probably not from your best cream carpet).
- Sodium is key in the operation of all signals within, as well as to and from, the brain.